In the past few years there has been spotlight on what is being called “The Opioid Crisis.” The escalating misuse and abuse of prescription pain medications on a national level has meant that people with chronic pain conditions are having an increasingly harder time accessing help to get their pain managed.
Last year, we spoke with Laurie, a chronic migraine suffer,who reported that she was having a harder time getting enough meds to keep her pain managed. She recalled a time a pharmacist tore up her prescription in front of her because he thought she was “just an addict”.
While it is generally believed that using prescription pain medication on a long-term basis is not an ideal solution (because they are addictive, come with strong side effects, and can lead to overdose), they are sometimes the only option for those in pain and no one deserves to be made to feel as if they are doing something wrong when they are just trying to relieve pain.
We asked, You Answered
We wanted to know how the “opioid crisis” was effecting people in our community, so we sent out a call looking for people living with chronic pain who are taking or have been prescribed opioid pain treatment who wanted to share their thoughts and opinions.
Everyone was welcome to participate in the survey – including care partners. We had MANY responses from people with a variety of health conditions.
Some of the most interesting results can be found below:
What do you think?
Recently, the FDA endorsed rewriting opioid drug labels to include a recommendation for prescription emergency treatment for many or all patients.
- Does “Five Feet Apart” Show What it’s Really Like to Live with Cystic Fibrosis?
- Laughter is the Best Activism: How Tinu Abayomi-Paul Copes With Cancer and Multiple Disabilities
- He’s Still Josh: How Josh Robbins is Making an Impact as an HIV Patient Advocate
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia: Remembering Coel Peach & Coping With Rare Blood Cancer
- What Women Want: When it Comes to Healthcare, Taking Us Seriously Would Be a Great Place to Start